Burnham Thorpe is a beautiful little village nestling in the valley of the River Burn, near the coast of North Norfolk. It had a population of 144 at the census in 2011 but the population has fallen slightly since then. However, it is still lucky enough to have one of the highest rates of permanent occupancy of any village in the area (about 55%), and to have people of all ages. In short, it is a small, mixed, modern and lively little community.
The village is most famous for being the birthplace of Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, whose fleet defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar (21st October 1805). This and other victories have made Nelson one of Britain's greatest ever heroes. His father, Edmund Nelson, was rector at the local church. The house where Nelson was born no longer exists, though The Parsonage that replaced it and All Saints Church, where Nelson's father preached, still stand.
The village's main public house was built in 1637 and was known as The Plough until 1798 when it was renamed The Lord Nelson. Sadly, the pub closed temporily on 13th September 2016, for refurbishment and a change of management and we hope to see it open again very soon!
The village has also managed to keep its spacious, rural and historical character - which many visitors tell us they love to see when they come to 'Nelson's Village'. The community is committed to maintaining the village as vibrant and sustainable - consistent with its history and its heritage.
Please come and visit us. There is a information display about Nelson in the church.
The village has: two working farms, the beautiful 'Nelson Memorial Hall' (with a sprung-wooden dance-floor!), a plum orchard, a large bed & breakfast and camping site at Whitehall Farm, a glass-blowing craft workshop, a sausage-maker, an animal charity, a felt-maker, a taxi company, a phone box, a letter box, and a lovely bus shelter but, sadly, no public bus!